There’s also the factor that a lot of folks haven’t seen or even know about many of the nominees. Sometimes the quarantine binge-watching of some show on Netflix, Amazon Prime, or Hulu, to name but a few streaming platforms is more appealing than watching some possibly depressing indie film. Still, there were some fine films that were released in the last year, and some of them got nominations.
Here are my predictions for the winners, a few of which I feel confident with, but most are definitive examples of “Eeny, meeny, miny, moe.”
1. BEST PICTURE: NOMADLAND
2. BEST DIRECTOR: Chloé Zhao for NOMADLAND
3. BEST ACTOR: Chadwick Boseman (MA RAINEY’S BLACK BOTTOM) Looks like everyone is in agreement on this one.
4. BEST ACTRESS: Carey Mulligan (PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN) There’s buzz aplenty that Frances McDormand is going to win for NOMADLAND, but she’s won twice before, and I have a feeling that Mulligan’s stunning performance in PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN will get more votes. Consider it this year’s wild card.
5. BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR: Daniel Kaluuya (JUDAS AND THE BLACK MESSIAH
6. BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS: Yuh-Jung Youn (MINARI)
7. PRODUCTION DESIGN: Donald Graham Burt, Jan Pascale for MANK
8. CINEMATOGRAPHY: Joshua James Richards for NOMADLAND
9. COSTUME DESIGN: Ann Roth for MA RAINEY’S BLACK BOTTOM
10. DOCUMENTARY FEATURE: MY OCTOPUS TEACHER
11. DOCUMENTARY SHORT: A CONCERTO IS A CONVERSATION (Kris Bowers, Ben Proudfoot)
12. FILM EDITING: SOUND OF METAL
13. MAKEUP AND HAIRSTYLING: MA RAINEY’S BLACK BOTTOM (Mia Neal, Sergio Lopez-Rivera, Jamika Wilson)
14. VISUAL EFFECTS: TENET (Andrew Jackson, David Lee, Andrew Lockley, Santiago Colomo Martinez)
15. ORIGINAL SCORE: SOUL (Trent Reznor, Atticus Ross and Jon Batiste)
16. ORIGINAL SONG: “Speak Now” from ONE NIGHT IN MIAMI (Leslie Odom Jr.)
17. ANIMATED SHORT: IF ANYTHING HAPPENS I LOVE YOU
18. LIVE ACTION SHORT: TWO DISTANT STRANGERS
19. SOUND: SOUND OF METAL – I’m so happy that they combined the BEST SOUND EDITING and SOUND MIXES categories into this one, as I hated trying to figure what deserved what, and also the same film would often win both awards.
20. ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY: Emerald Fennell for PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN
21. ADAPTED SCREENPLAY: and for THE FATHER
22. ANIMATED FEATURE FILM: SOUL
23. BEST INTERNATIONAL FILM: ANOTHER ROUND