Monday, March 28, 2022

And Now, As If Anyone Cares, Here’s My 2022 Oscars Score

As I and everyone else predicted, Troy Kutsur wins the Best Supporting Actor Oscar for CODA

When I posted my predictions for the 94th Academy Awards over the weekend, I speculated that I might get more wrong than I ever have before. Actually, I had a pretty good, but typical score: 19 out of 23.

For most of the last decade, there have been 24 categories, and my scores were twice 16/24, and 19/24 twice, with my lowest score being 13/24 in 2019 (the year of GREEN BOOK), and my highest score being 21/24 in 2014 (the year of BIRDMAN, though I had predicted BOYHOOD).

In 2021, they combined Sound Design and Sound Editing into just plain Sound, so of this year’s 23 categories here are the four ones I got wrong:

BEST PICTURE: My prediction: THE POWER OF THE DOG/What won: CODA.

I had told people before the show that I wouldn’t be surprised if Sian Heder’s CODA won as it was the feel-good family overcoming obstacles drama that regularly received Oscar love, but I was still going with Jane Campion’s western. Maybe because Netflix sent me this swag:


CODA sent me nothing! Nah, that really didnt sway me. I really preferred TPOTD, and really thought it had a great chance of winning. Over the last ten years, I have only gotten four of my Best Picture predictions right, so the category is apparently not my strongest.

BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY: My prediction: Ari Wegner for TPOTD/What won: Grieg Fraser for DUNE. I went with TPOTD because of its excellent old school imagery, but should’ve guessed that DUNE would add it to its six Oscar tech sweep.

BEST ANIMATED & BEST DOCUMENTARY SHORTS: My predictions: Dan Ojari and Mikey Please’s ROBIN ROBIN, and Matthew Ogens AUDIBLE/What won: Alberto Mielgo and Leo Sánchezdouble-dagger's THE WINDSHIELD WIPER, and Ben Proudfoot’s THE QUEEN OF BASKETBALL. These picks were of the eeny meeny miny mo variety so I have no argument here.

So there’s my score. Now we can go back to talking about the Chris Rock/Will Smith altercation, which I did in this post.

More later...

No comments: