Sunday, March 15, 2009

Coming Soon To A Film Babble Blog Near You...

The next few months are going to be very busy for me so I thought Id give readers a preview of some upcoming attractions:
Coming Soon - Reviews of:
CHE: PART ONE (Dir. Steven Soderbergh, 2008) So epic it had to be cut into 2 separate movies (THE ARGENTINE and GUERILLA respectively), PART ONE opened last Friday at the local theater I work part-time but I havent had a chance to see it yet. Expect a write-up shortly because Ive been really looking to this sweeping biopicalious looking opus that I'm planning on approaching as if it was a TV miniseries. CHE: PART TWO opens on the 20th so I better get to it.
TWO LOVERS (Dir. James Gray, 2008) Yes, my area is usually late getting indie fare like this so my list of films from last year I need to catch up on is endless. Whatever the deal with Joaquin Phoenix and his possibly fake hip hop career *, there has been considerably favorable buzz around this title. Ill let you know when I see it. * Now I don't have to mention any of his off screen shenanigins in my actual review. And on the horizon: WENDY AND LUCY (Dir. Kelly Reichardt) GOMORRA (Dir. Matteo Garrone) The trailer for this is fantastic! I hear the movie is too. ADVENTURELAND (Dir. Greg Mottola) And also coming soon: Celebrating the 25th Anniversary of REPO MAN (Dir. Alex Cox, 1984) An undeniable 80s cult classic and a favorite from my youth. Thanks to Cool Classics @ The Colony I'll be able to see if it still holds up. If you're in the Triangle area you really ought to consider coming out for the Wednesday (the 18th) showing at 8:00 PM in North Raleigh. A 35 MM print of this dusted off punk flick with vintage trailers for $5.00 is impossible for me to pass up.
A Film Babble Blog Soundtrack Special - I've been working on this off and on for a while. A blogpost tribute to the soundtracks of my life. This will include another patented Film Babble Blog list about soundtracks that think outside the box office, i.e. albums that consist of more than just songs or pieces of music from said film. Works of audio art that are distinct in their use of film dialogue and purposeful re-editing of movie material. Any suggestions for this piece please send them on!
Coverage of the Full Frame Documentary Film Festival 2009 (April 2nd-5th) A wonderful annual event in Durham, N.C. that I'm eager as Hell to blog about. Currently I'm going through the schedules trying to figure out which films I will attend - again, if you have any recommendations, please send them on! More later...

1 comment:

Daniel Cook Johnson said...

Michael - Natural Born Killers definitely makes the list. Its a class example of a soundtrack that thinks outside the box office. I think its much better than the movie actually...