Yep, it’s that time of year again. The 89th Academy Awards ceremony, hosted by Jimmy Kimmel, is on Sunday night so it’s time to pony up some predictions for the event. This year, it seems like people are going to tune in more to see what anti-Trump stuff is said, than for who wins what, and it’s looking like a LA LA LAND sweep is brewing, but whatever the case I’ll be watching the broadcast at the Rialto Theater in Raleigh, and hoping I get more right than last year (2016 was my worst score in five years: 16 out of 24).
So here are my predictions:
1. BEST PICTURE: LA LA LAND
2. BEST DIRECTOR: Damien Chazelle for LA LA LAND
3. BEST ACTOR: Casey Affleck. A lot of critics are saying Denzel Washington, for his role in FENCES, might come out ahead here. I personally liked Washington’s work better in this category, but Affleck, despite the resurfacing of past allegations of sexual harassment, just feels like a lock here.
4. BEST ACTRESS: Emma Stone. The wild card is Isabelle Hubbert for ELLE, which I haven’t seen.
5. BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR: Mahershala Ali for MOONLIGHT
6. BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS: Viola Davis for FENCES.
And the rest:
7. PRODUCTION DESIGN: LA LA LAND
8. CINEMATOGRAPHY: LA LA LAND
9. COSTUME DESIGN: JACKIE
10. DOCUMENTARY FEATURE: O.J. MADE IN AMERICA
11. DOCUMENTARY SHORT: JOE’S VIOLIN
12. FILM EDITING: LA LA LAND
13. MAKEUP AND HAIRSTYLING: STAR TREK BEYOND
14. VISUAL EFFECTS: THE JUNGLE BOOK
15. ORIGINAL SCORE: Justin Hurwitz for LA LA LAND
16. ORIGINAL SONG: “City of Stars” from LA LA LAND
17. ANIMATED SHORT: PIPER
18. LIVE ACTION SHORT: ENNEMIS INTÉRIEURS
19. SOUND EDITING: HACKSAW RIDGE
20. SOUND MIXING: LA LA LAND
21. ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY: Kenneth Lonergan for MANCHESTER BY THE SEA
22. ADAPTED SCREENPLAY: Barry Jenkins for MOONLIGHT
23. ANIMATED FEATURE FILM: ZOOTOPIA
24. BEST FOREIGN FILM: THE SALESMAN
As I always say, tune in Monday to see how many I got wrong.
This Oscar predictions post is sponsored by USB Memory Direct, my recommended promotional flash drive supplier.