Although there is still a slew of 2010 films I have yet to catch up on (films such as CARLOS, BLUE VALENTINE, SOMEWHERE, etc. have yet to come to my area) I decided to go ahead and make my list of the best of the year. Though in many ways a lackluster year, there were still a smattering of excellent films by film makers and actors at the top of their game. Here are my favorites:
1. THE SOCIAL NETWORK (Dir. David Fincher)
Time Magazine's 2010 Man of the Year: Mark Zuckerberg - computer nerd visionary or just an arrogant asshole who ripped off his best friends? Whether Zuckerberg (played here by Jesse Eisenberg) is really Man of the Year or not, this scrupulous Aaron Sorkin scripted comic drama is my movie of the year because of its snappy narrative take of the phenomenon of Facebook. Read my review here.
2. TOY STORY 3 (Dir. Lee Unkrich) Pixar holds the #2 spot on my top 10 for the third year in a row and that's fine by me. This funny, exciting, and genuinely touching trilogy topper is a supremely satisfying sequel and another entry in the annual Pixar blows every other animated movie away sweepstakes. Take that HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON, DESPICABLE ME, MEGAMIND, and TANGLED! Though some of those films had their moments. Read my review here.
3. TRUE GRIT (Dirs. Joel & Ethan Coen)
Enlisting "the Dude" to take on the role made famous by "the Duke", the Coen Brothers make a Western epic that does grand justice to the genre. Jeff Bridges along with an ace supporting cast including Hallie Steinfeld, Matt Damon, and Josh Brolin handle the humor and powerful pathos of this material mightily. Read my review here.
4. INCEPTION (Christopher Nolan)
I called this film "an incredible mind bender of a movie" in my rave review last summer and still stand by that. I also wrote "what wins out is that this film threatens to burst out of the screen into real life - just like the most lucid dreams." Read the rest of my review here.
For my reviews of the rest of the movies on the list please click on the highlighted titles:
5. 127 HOURS (Dir. Danny Boyle)
6. BLACK SWAN (Dir. Darren Aronofsky)
7. THE KING'S SPEECH (Dir. Tom Hooper)
8. EXIT THROUGH THE GIFT SHOP (Dir. Banksy)
9. THE AMERICAN (Dir. Anton Corbijn)
10. THE GHOST WRITER (Dir. Roman Polanski)
I may make a revised list later if I get to a film from 2010 that warrants inclusion.