With 2 days to go I thought it was time to finalize my Oscar picks for this year. Like I’ve said before I’m going in with a certain percentage of guts, wild guessing, and a bit of internet research. The last few years I’ve gotten the same score - 13 out of 24 so don’t think I’m talking like I’m any expert. Far from it but here goes anyway:
1. BEST PICTURE: SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE
It looks like this or THE CURIOUS CASE OF BENJAMIN BUTTON will win. I’m going with this because the buzz seems stronger and more genuine.
2. BEST DIRECTOR: Danny Boyle
3. BEST ACTOR: Mickey Rourke - I believe this will happen but it’s a personal choice as well. His acceptance speech is sure to be a tearjerker. I’ll probably be all cried out from his interview with Barbara Walters earlier in the evening by then though.
4. BEST ACTRESS: Kate Winslet
5. BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR: Heath Ledger - It will indeed be extremely shocking if this doesn’t happen. Seems like even if not for his incredibly untimely demise, Ledger would still pick the winning card.
6. BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS: Penelope Cruz - feels like there may be a major surprise in this category but I’m going with Cruz, again for personal reasons.
And the rest:
7. ART DIRECTION: THE CURIOUS CASE OF BENJAMIN BUTTON
8. CINEMATOGRAPHY: SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE
9. COSTUME DESIGN: THE DUCHESS
10. DOCUMENTARY FEATURE: MAN ON WIRE
11. DOCUMENTARY SHORT: THE CONSCIENCE OF NHEM EN
12. FILM EDITING: SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE
13. MAKEUP: THE CURIOUS CASE OF BENJAMIN BUTTON
14. VISUAL EFFECTS: THE CURIOUS CASE OF BENJAMIN BUTTON
15. ORIGINAL SCORE: SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE
16. ORIGINAL SONG: “Jai Ho” from SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE
17. ANIMATED SHORT: PRESTO - This is the only one I’ve seen (it’s the only many have seen since it was at the beginning of WALL-E) but it seems to have the edge.
18. LIVE ACTION SHORT: MANON ON THE ASPHALT
19. SOUND EDITING: THE DARK KNIGHT
20. SOUND MIXING: THE DARK KNIGHT
21. ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY: MILK
22. ADAPTED SCREENPLAY: SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE
23. ANIMATED FEATURE FILM: WALL-E
24. FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM: WALTZ WITH BASHIR
Okay! Check back on Monday to see how many I got wrong.