Friday, March 14, 2014

Trailer Spotlight: Robert Altman's NASHVILLE (1975)


Next Wednesday evening at 7:30 pm, the Colony Theater, where I work part-time, in Raleigh is showing one of my favorite films: Robert Altman's 1975 country music-driven comedy drama NASHVILLE as part of their Cool Classics series. I wrote it up for my Film Picks column in today's Raleigh News & Observer, but here I wanted to put a spotlight on the movie's terrific trailer.

It's only a little over two minutes long, but it crams a lot of information in trying to describe the individual members of its large cast. The two announcers (one male; one female), quickly skip through the basic plot-points of its “24 unforgettable people,” with lines like “Shelley Duvall is the wide-eyed groupie doing what all groupies do so well.” Check it out:


It's a hoot, huh? They sure don't make trailers, or movies, like that anymore. 

The Colony is running this trailer before its current features (GLORIA and HER) so I love that our patrons will be seeing it throughout the next 6 days. With hope it'll encourage more than just a few folks to come check out the entire excellent film.


More later...

No comments: