Thursday, February 27, 2014

Hey Kids! Funtime 2014 Oscar Picks!



It's that time of year again, time for me to post my predictions for the Oscars, which will air on ABC this Sunday night. I'm glad to see that the 86th Academy Awards Ceremony will be hosted by Ellen DeGeneres because she was very funny when she first helmed the show back in 2007.

I thought that last year's Oscar winners were one of the hardest rosters to predict in history, but I actually scored 18 out of 24 right. I seriously doubt I'll get as good or better this go around, but I'm still gonna give it the ole college try.

Oh yeah, I'll be live-tweeting the Oscars too: follow @filmbabble.

1. BEST PICTURE: 12 YEARS A SLAVE



I thought this was a shoo-in when I saw it last fall, but then AMERICAN HUSTLE started gaining major momentum as an awards season favorite. GRAVITY has a lot of pull too, but I'm sticking with Steve McQueen's powerful historical drama. It just seems to have Best Picture written all over it.

2. BEST DIRECTOR: Alfonso Cuarón for GRAVITY

3. BEST ACTOR: Matthew McConaughey for DALLAS BUYER'S CLUB

4. BEST ACTRESS: Cate Blanchett for BLUE JASMINE

5. BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR: Jared Leto for DALLAS BUYER'S CLUB

I almost want to pick a wild card - say, Jonah Hill for THE WOLF OF WALL STREET - because there's often a surprise in one of the Supporting categories, but I'm still going with Leto.

6. BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS: Lupita Nyong’o for 12 YEARS A SLAVE (Wild card: June Squibb for NEBRASKA)


And the rest:

7. PRODUCTION DESIGN: THE GREAT GATSBY

8. CINEMATOGRAPHY: GRAVITY



9. COSTUME DESIGN: AMERICAN HUSTLE

10. DOCUMENTARY FEATURE: THE ACT OF KILLING

11. DOCUMENTARY SHORT: THE LADY IN NUMBER 6

12. FILM EDITING: GRAVITY

13. MAKEUP: DALLAS BUYER'S CLUB

14. VISUAL EFFECTS: GRAVITY

15. ORIGINAL SCORE: GRAVITY

16. ORIGINAL SONG: “Let it Go” from FROZEN

17. ANIMATED SHORT: MR. HUBLOT

18. LIVE ACTION SHORT: THAT WASN'T ME

19. SOUND EDITING: GRAVITY

20. SOUND MIXING: GRAVITY

21. ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY: HER

22. ADAPTED SCREENPLAY: 12 YEARS A SLAVE

23. ANIMATED FEATURE FILM: FROZEN

24. BEST FOREIGN FILM: THE GREAT BEAUTY


Okay, so as you can see - when I was in doubt on a technical award, I just went with GRAVITY.

As usual, stay tuned to see how many I get wrong.

More later...

No comments: