Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Now, This Is Sad: Cary's The Galaxy Cinema Awaiting Demolition


Triangle area film fans should all be aware that the Galaxy Cinema in Cary closed for business last November, but the building still stands and it's a very sad sight:



The weather today made it look even bleaker, but it looked like it's been closed for years not just months. Here's a few more depressing shots (click on the images for bigger pics):






I went to see a lot of movies at the Galaxy over the years, and I remember going there when it was the Imperial Cinemas VI back in the '80s (I saw BEETLEJUICE there!). 

I hear that soon the bulldozers will come and the structure will be razed to make way for, uh, a grocery store? New office buildings? I dunno - I can't find anything recent online about it. If you know anything, please let me know.

Back in the world of still thriving art houses, the Colony Theater has some notable upcoming revival screenings coming up, including tonight's Cinema Overdrive screening of THE PEOPLE NEXT DOOR that I'm checking out. Read more here.

More later...

No comments: