As I’ve said before, the 85th Academy Awards, airing Sunday night on ABC, is looking like one of the most unpredictable Oscars ever. So I bet I get more wrong this time than usual. But it's all in fun so what the Hell!
Here are my picks:
1. BEST PICTURE: ARGO
Yep, I'm going with the theory that the Academy will make up for not nominating Ben Affleck for Best Director and give him the gold for his film, which I think deserves to win. LINCOLN looks pretty possible too, and I could see SILVER LININGS PLAYBOOK being an upset, but I'm still going with ARGO.
2. BEST DIRECTOR: Steven Spielberg for LINCOLN
3. BEST ACTOR: Daniel Day-Lewis for LINCOLN
4. BEST ACTRESS: Jennifer Lawrence for SILVER LININGS PLAYBOOK
5. BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR: Robert De Niro for SILVER LININGS PLAYBOOK
6. BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS: Anne Hathaway for LES MISÉRABLES
And the rest:
7. PRODUCTION DESIGN: LES MISÉRABLES (Eve Stewart, Anna Lynch-Robinson)
8. CINEMATOGRAPHY: LIFE OF PI (Claudio Miranda)
9. COSTUME DESIGN: ANNA KARENINA (Jacqueline Durran)
10. DOCUMENTARY FEATURE: SEARCHING FOR SUGAR MAN
11. DOCUMENTARY SHORT: OPEN HEART (Kief Davidson, Cori Shepherd Stern)
12. FILM EDITING: ARGO (William Goldenberg)
13. MAKEUP: THE HOBBIT: AN UNEXPECTED JOURNEY (Peter King, Rick Findlater, Tami Lane)
14. VISUAL EFFECTS: LIFE OF PI (Bill Westenhofer, Guillaume Rocheron, Erik De Boer, Donald Elliott)
15. ORIGINAL SCORE: LIFE OF PI (Mychael Danna)
16. ORIGINAL SONG: “Skyfall” (Adele, Paul Epworth)
17. ANIMATED SHORT: PAPERMAN (John Kahrs)
18. LIVE ACTION SHORT: CURFEW (Shawn Christensen)
19. SOUND EDITING: ZERO DARK THIRTY (Paul N.J. Ottosson)
20. SOUND MIXING: LES MISÉRABLES (Andy Nelson, Mark Paterson, Simon Hayes)
21. ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY: DJANGO UNCHAINED (Quentin Tarantino)
22. ADAPTED SCREENPLAY: LINCOLN (Tony Kushner)
23. ANIMATED FEATURE FILM: BRAVE (Mark Andrews, Brenda Chapman) What I want to win: WRECK-IT RALPH.
24. BEST FOREIGN FILM: AMOUR (Dir. Michael Haneke)
Check back Monday morning to see how many I got wrong.
Also, I should again plug my appearance on postmodcast in which I discuss the Oscars with host Kevin Brewer.